Saturday, September 22, 2012

Beyond Barriers

I surveyed the large canoes as they rested in the water.  Not  exactly sure how this next adventure that awaited for me and my sons would accommodate all our needs. I looked back at Josiah and Cody where they sat waiting for me, with their 16 year old cousin Nathan- who had generously  agreed to accompany us on our  family camp trip.  He was my muscle support for the weekend.  Standing at 6ft he easily could help assist with lifting Cody, allowing me and my boys to participate in MDA's family fall camp.  The weekend had gone so wonderful and this last adventure was the perfect ending to yet another experience  I  shared with   my sons.    Yes, the the wilderness guides that were scheduled to take us on this canoe ride had assured me that my boys would be supported comfortably and safely during our trip. I was anxious and excited to be able to have this opportunity with them.  I threw them the thumbs up, immediately seeing smiles cross their faces.

Carefully they approached Cody and with my suggestions of the two man lift, raised him from his electric wheel chair into the awaiting canoe.  Next to Nathan, Cody sat fitted with back support and an oar strapped to his hand allowing the ability to help paddle.  I marveled at the sight, Cody placed the oar in his hand down in the water.  Never did I imagine I would see this happening.   Carefully I followed as as my little Josiah was cradled in to the next guides arms and carried to the canoe. Gently and smoothly  he was placed in the specialized seat. Tears of pure joy filled my eyes as I stepped back to capture the moment on film.  I paused looking over at the three of them.  It had been such a wonderful summer and this moment now just added to all the wonderful memories we created together.  This  was the world I wanted and strived for, for my sons.  This  moment right now, seeing past the ugliness that DMD caused  our lives.  Yes, I was convinced I had did good this summer in  CREATING LIFE BEYOND BARRIERS for them.   I climbed into the canoe next to my Josiah, wanting to savor the joy from what we were sharing.  A single tear trickled down my cheek as I looked out into the water,  I had and was still succeeding in my ambition, creating an accessible world for my two physically challenged sons. I smiled and felt joy fill me, embracing all that was good in our world right now. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment