Tuesday, January 5, 2010

another day in our new beginning

It was a delight to spend a warm hour watching my boys swim today. Outside the frigid artic air brought the temperature to zero for a high. Enclosed in this glass room we could see snow all around us but the air felt almost tropical. Cody and Josiah with their newly appointed grandma/friend and swim assistant Janice laughed and splashed while stretching their limbs. I have spent a good part of my life trying to bring special people into my sons lives. When physically challenged, playmates are not always the easiest to find. Finding a special person that can make the connection means so much to a child that just wants a friend. Cody and Josiah had connected with Janice, it was wonderful to see. Cody so free in the water shined as he brought himself to a tall standing position next to his new favorite friend grandma Janice. Oh Janice, I thought, you have know idea how much Cody and Josiah look forward to spending time with you.

This was the kinda day when my energy level soared. I sat on the sides with my faithful companion for swim day, my sister Marie,
enjoying. Our routine together we had worked to perfection. She assisted them with showering, while I did the drying. It is truly a connection when you have a partner that knows the exact moment to assist with out words. Recently it seemed Cody was becoming increasingly harder to lift and maneuver. On a few occasions, I found myself somewhat unable to transport him alone. Marie with out words or hesitation, found her angle to slip in and help turn him in my grasps, to where we both could support his weight. It seemed as the temperature dropped outside transporting also became harder. Today was colder and I had my extra muscle, we were ready. I had Marie.

Moving my sons from building to building on any given day requires patience and strength. When the weather is most certainly not cooperating and icy walk ways are factored in, fast, just is not fast enough. Slightly chilled we were at our second appointment for the day and met by a wonderful young man. I will refer to him as J.

Very eager and happy to meet Cody, he can not wait to introduce himself. J is also participating in the drug study with Cody
. Second in the world to follow Cody, he excitedly shares his hope and optimism. With in minutes J and his parents are asking questions, and sharing in their excitement. I see in J the same hope and fear I see in my sons. I can not help but think we are some how meant to meet, just like this. For this day I know will play an important role for what lays ahead. We have met some one else who can relate to this new phase in our lives. Someone else to walk down this road with. Looking at Cody and J, I can see how important it is to have a special friend when so much of your life is closed. A special friend who shares this open door.

I read an article not to long ago on the subject; "the difficulty of making new friends after 40". I understood this very well. Having to start over after my divorce I knew what they meant, why 40 and beyond was so different. Anyone who has had children also knows how life changes, friends are no exceptions. I am a firm believer when one door closes another opens. My motto for reentering the dating world.

Today sitting before me was J. A bright spirited young man embracing the opportunity to meet my son and share this journey. A new friend for Cody and myself. Wednesday together they begin this journey in to the next phase of their delicate young lives. I look forward to sharing our strengths and hopes. I look forward to embracing our moving forward in finding the cure for DMD. I look forward to seeing Cody and J walk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment